Thursday, July 19, 2007

Chapter 25

So I've been taking my time with Chapter 25 of Thich Nhat Hanh's The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching, "The Twelve Links of Interdependent Co-Arising." Dense stuff. I absolutely savour this book - it's definitely one to read with great care and love. Undoubtedly it's one to repeatedly reread, as opportunity arrives. But for right now, it's slow, slow going. Lots to think about. For the most part I find Venerable Hanh's writing very accessible. Of course, some of the topics he broaches in this book are incredibly deep, serious philosophical discussions, and the writing becomes appropriately dense at these points. Very humbling.

1 comment:

Gregor said...

Its a great book, the second (or was it the first) book I ever read on Buddhism. I probably should look at it again, I'm sure much of I was not ready for at the time. But, you got me thinking about this, so I grabbed my own copy and had a look at the chapter ( it was # 27 in my book).

Its a wonderful lesson that I am will be looking at deeper. Its funny how such a basic and fundamental concept can get so complex. However, I like Thay's abbreviation, "This is like this, because that is like this."

Gassho,

Gregor